Playing Contact Roulette

February 5, 2019

I woke up this morning not able to see with my glasses or contacts. I was getting headaches and I could only read things with my glasses off. I made an appointment with my optometrist. I explained what was happening to him and they did a vision test. It turned out that my prescription dropped by half of what it had been essentially overnight.

I’ve been blind as a bat since I was a kid. Until about 3 years ago, I was always the one with the worst vision in the room. I finally met a couple of people who’s distance vision was worse than mine. I didn’t think that was possible. So it was pretty weird for me to hear from my eye doctor that my vision had changed so drastically so quickly. I went home with some trial contacts.

February 7, 2019

Grocery shopping. I knew it was going to snow. The weather people were forecasting at least 6 inches. I needed to make sure I had food and supplies in the house. My friend’s wife graciously came and picked me up in the Hamster-mobile and took me to the grocery store and Target. We had a nice dinner at a Chinese restaurant neither of us had tried before. With the snow coming, I needed to make sure I had food in the house to last at least a week.

February 8, 2019

I noticed another vision change. This time, my glasses work a little better than they did before, but the contacts are all but useless. I went back to the eye doctor. My vision had slid a little bit back to what it used to be. I got another new pair of 3 week contacts.

The real fun came when I went to leave the doctor’s office to go home. It had started snowing. As soon as those fluffy flakes started falling, the Lyft and Uber drivers scattered to the wind and disappeared. I was stranded on the other side of town. I couldn’t drive. I didn’t have my medications with me.

I ordered another ride. I got ghosted again.

I ordered yet another ride. This one called and asked where I was going. When I told him, he sounded concerned. I asked if there was a problem. He said no, but never showed up. So I tried again. Same thing. Ghosted. This was getting frustrating for me and the doctor’s office. They were sending their staff home. One of the doctors needed to go pick up her kids. I was still there when she got back and relieved the last of her staff. She was ready to drop me at a Starbucks or somewhere else nearby where I could get a ride.

I eventually got home via a friend who happened to be on his way home and could stop to pick me up. It wasn’t a fun ride home. Seattle snow is like Minnesota snow in late March or April – it’s that wet, heavy stuff that turns to ice the second any pressure is exerted on it. We used to call it “Tournament Snow.”

Rather than go look up on my spreadsheet how much my vision swapped back and forth, I’m just gonna list how many times I had to go to the eye doctor’s office and get new contacts.

3/8/19- Visual Fields
3/29/19 – Visual Fields

The contacts I got were all 3 week contacts instead of daily wear lenses. So I had to clean them and store them. For the uninitiated, they need to be cleaned every time you put them in or take them out, and they need to be taken out of the case, cleaned and the case cleaned once a week, too, plus replacing the cases once a month.

See why I prefer daily wear lenses I can just toss at the end of the day?


Contact Cases on Counter



About Pink Ribbon Road

This blog is about receiving and living with a breast cancer diagnosis.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.